Size
Font Family

Chapter 9 : Episode 9

Viscount Augusta let out a small sigh.

"...Then, please inform the young master. I must head to the Imperial Palace now. Minerva should be nearly finished with her preparations. I shall go and fetch her."

Cyril was genuinely happy that he would be allowed to see Minerva.

(—Hm? The Imperial Palace?)

As Cyril's expression clouded, the Viscount explained as if it were only natural.

"...I have been summoned by His Majesty. Since it is an Imperial Command, I cannot avoid speaking with him. There is nothing more to it than that."

"What will you do if His Majesty proposes another marriage partner?"

When Cyril asked, unable to hide his anxiety, the Viscount smiled troubledly.

"His Majesty would not do something so heartless. It would be a loss for the country, after all."

He was implicitly saying that if such a thing were to happen, he would leave the country. The Viscount seemed to be shorter-tempered than expected.

The Viscount placed his hand on the door and looked back as he was leaving.

"I want my daughter to be happy. As things stand, I am opposed to her marrying into the House of Louzer. —However, if my daughter desires it, I believe it cannot be helped."

Cyril reflexively stood up.

"Viscount Augusta, does that mean you are wishing me luck?"

"It depends on you. Farewell."

With that, the Viscount left the room.

Cyril turned to Linus, who was standing behind him.

"That means if I can make Lady Minerva like me, the engagement will be permitted, right?"

Linus also seemed surprised.

"Yes. That is how it sounded to me as well. You are fortunate, indeed. Viscount Augusta is a generous man."

"Yeah... Hah, Lady Minerva should be here any moment now, right? Linus. Is this okay? Is there anything out of place?"

Looking at Cyril again, Linus frowned.

"Nothing is... out of place, but if I may be so bold, I believe it would be better if you fastened all the front buttons."

"But this one won't close."

Because he was borrowing Alex's clothes, they were slightly too small for Cyril.

(Alex's upper body is scrawny. Honestly. To think he has a thinner chest than I did when I was a shut-in...)

"Is it unseemly...?"

"......"

As Cyril spoke while looking up, Linus looked at him with a puzzled expression.

"Lord Cyril, forgive me, but are you truly sixteen? You have the air of a mature man... I fear it might be a bit too stimulating for a young lady... Is it really alright to meet her like this...?"

"What are you talking about?"

Again with the incomprehensible remarks. Linus was clearly older than Cyril. To call a sixteen-year-old boy 'mature'? ...No, wait. What did he say at the end? If it's bad to meet her like this, I want him to tell me what to do.

Just as Cyril was about to press Linus further, there was a knock at the door. *Knock, knock!*

Cyril hurriedly sat back down.

"Please, come in."

The door opened, and Minerva finally appeared. She wore a dress of pale blue lace. Coupled with Minerva's sky-blue eyes, she was breathtakingly beautiful.

While Cyril was mesmerized, Linus nudged him.

"Lord Cyril."

"A-Ah. Lady Augusta, my sincerest apologies for the sudden visit."

As Cyril spoke, Minerva had an expression that was both troubled and bewildered.

"I am the one who should apologize for keeping you waiting."

As Minerva bowed her head, her golden hair flowed smoothly. Her hair, which had been styled up at the party, was today loosely curled and let down. Cyril almost reached out his hand instinctively but clenched it tight.

"No, it's because I came so suddenly... I am sorry. Having been a shut-in, I am ignorant of noble etiquette. I must study from now on."

Cyril was genuinely reflecting on this matter. He wanted to ask for a social manners tutor as soon as tomorrow.

"It seems there are more things for which I must apologize to you. Today, I have come to offer my apologies once again."

Minerva didn't seem to grasp the meaning of Cyril's words immediately. She tilted her head slightly.

(She's so cute.)

"I felt that yesterday's apology alone was not enough. I apologize for my brother's actions and for my own inadequacy."

When Cyril spoke with sincerity, Minerva smiled troubledly.

"Inadequacy... I believe there must have been a great conflict within you to stand against your brother. The fact that you offered me a helping hand at that time was more than enough. I had not yet thanked you. I am truly grateful."

Cyril hurriedly stopped Minerva as she tried to bow her head again. He felt he had no right to be thanked.

(I only did it because I had ulterior motives...)

He instinctively grabbed her shoulders and then quickly let go.

"Ah, m-my apologies."

*Thump!*

"Ugh."

In his haste to jump back, he slammed his shin against the corner of the desk. While he was enduring the pain, Minerva began to tremble slightly.

"Lady Augusta?"

"Fu, fufu. You don't have to panic so much..."

At that flower-like smile, the pain in Cyril's shin vanished instantly.

adda

Notification