After seeing Minerva Augusta back to the Viscount's estate, I returned to the Louzer Duke's estate and was immediately summoned to my father's office.
A mountain of documents sat on the desk in the office. Duke Louzer sat deep in his chair, and after receiving several reports from the butler standing beside him, he turned his gaze toward Cyril.
It seemed my father had also returned home shortly after that.
(Well, it would be awkward for him to stay.)
"What are you smirking at? Do you even understand the situation?" my father said, sounding exasperated.
"Alex was the catalyst, but you are just as bad. To do such a thing in a public setting... are you serious?" A deep frown etched into my father's brow. By 'such a thing,' he likely meant the right of succession to the peerage.
"I am serious," I replied bluntly, causing my father to let out a deep sigh.
"For now, the engagement between Lady Augusta and Alex will be dissolved. However, your succession to the title is a separate matter."
"Yes. Even if I suddenly demanded the right of succession, no one in the house would be convinced. I don't expect that matter to be resolved immediately. More importantly..."
"What do you mean 'more importantly' than my ducal title?" my father glared at me with half-closed eyes. "Have you finally become sane?"
I couldn't imagine that the Cyril from before remembering his previous life was 'sane.' If we're talking about that, I have become sane, but as for whether I've developed a way of thinking suited for this different world, that's not necessarily true.
"I cannot answer that," Cyril said in a firm voice. My father let out another deep sigh.
"It seems I failed in raising my twins."
"Regarding that matter, you probably did," Cyril affirmed, and my father said nothing more.
"Father, will Lady Augusta become my fiancée?"
This was the thing I wanted to know most. For now, I'm sorry, but the ducal title is secondary.
"...That matter won't be easy either."
"Why? I believe I am several times better than my elder brother." Cyril, who had been slightly hopeful, felt a shock.
"It's not a matter of that. His Majesty chose Lady Augusta specifically because it was Alex."
Cyril pondered this. "His Majesty overestimates me more than I thought."
"It's not an overestimation. I've shared your grades and the achievements you made even while being a shut-in with His Majesty. You don't need Lady Augusta. His Majesty would likely recommend the excellent Lady Augusta to a 'second Alex'."
(He wants to marry her off to a useless husband? Don't screw with me.)
A murderous intent toward the Emperor began to bubble up. Should I hurry and get the ducal title so I can start a rebellion or something?
Perhaps sensing a bad omen from Cyril's expression, the Duke spoke rapidly.
"However, it won't happen immediately. Viscount Augusta's engagement was dissolved by imperial decree. He wouldn't agree if we suddenly asked him to hand over his daughter again. Besides, His Majesty is not a demon. If the young lady finds someone she truly loves, he won't do anything heartless. She isn't royalty. A love marriage is sometimes permitted... so stop making that face that looks like you're about to start a rebellion."
Cyril's eyes widened. "As expected of Father. You understood perfectly."
The Duke looked at Cyril in exasperation. "—Sigh. You've become even more troublesome than before. For now, handle the matter of Lady Augusta yourself. As for the title, the right of succession will likely transfer to you."
"Yes. I will do so. I am not worried about the succession either. Given the circumstances, it's only natural that it transfers to me."
"Indeed. If your once-fragile mental state has grown stronger, then that is how it should be. As soon as Alex graduates from the academy, I will send him to the territory."
"I hope he can actually graduate."
"I don't know what happened, but you've become a bit too strong... or rather, too bellicose. One should not make unnecessary enemies. Correct your attitude."
"I will do my best," I replied. My 'I will do my best' sounded like I had no intention of doing so, and while the Duke glared at me, he quickly looked away, realizing it was pointless.
"Now then, how do you plan to move forward?"
At the Duke's question, Cyril thought for a moment.
"...Let's see. For starters, I will return to the academy where I was on leave. Also, to avoid attracting Alex's attention, please resubmit all the business development plans and new magic tool designs I submitted under a pseudonym, this time using my real name."
"Hmm. I thought you hid them because of your introverted personality, but it was a measure against Alex?"
"Yes. There was never any benefit to having him notice me."
"Understood. I will do so. The veterans of the house will also likely agree to the transfer of succession quickly. You may leave now."
"Understood. Then, Father, have a good dream."
Cyril bowed and left the room.
It was hard to believe this was the same man he couldn't even make eye contact with until yesterday. He had always been timid, and the Duke had always thought it was a waste that he was naturally smarter than Alex.
"I wonder what on earth happened," the Duke muttered while looking at the mountain of documents.
"If you ask me what happened, I would say it is 'love'," the butler replied to the Duke's monologue.
The Duke looked at the butler and gave a wry smile. "That... would be troublesome..."