Size
Font Family

Chapter 3 : The Case of the Foolish Twin Brother

At Cyril's murmur, Minerva spoke in a voice that seemed about to vanish.

"A-Are you teasing me? If so, please stop."

"Teasing you? It is my honest opinion that Augusta-jou is cute," Cyril said hurriedly, which only made Minerva more flustered. To an outsider, it wouldn't be surprising if they thought the two were flirting.

"There's no way you can become the successor! Have you been possessed by an evil spirit?! Come back to your senses!"

Cyril glared at Alex, who was screaming with a bright red face.

I wish he would stop interrupting my conversation with Minerva. Calling it an evil spirit is rude. Though, it's not entirely off the mark.

I can slowly take the position of successor from now on. The amount of books I read while I was a shut-in is incomparable to Alex's. Since I had nothing but time, I used to go into my father's study, look through business plans, and even exchange opinions with my father.

Except for my gloomy personality, my father knows that Cyril is more suited to be the successor.

(For now, in this situation, I at least want to clear Minerva's name of these false accusations.)

"I am perfectly sane, Ani-ue. Lilia-jou, returning to the topic, I heard you were harassed by Augusta-jou?"

Lilia flinched for a moment when the conversation turned to her, but she soon let her face twist into a smirk.

(Did she really think I would swallow that story whole? It's so obvious it makes me sick.)

Even without bringing it up, looking at the exasperated faces of the surrounding nobles, it seemed unnecessary to prove that Lilia's words were nonsense. However, some of the dim-witted ones seemed to believe her. They were the sons and daughters who were close with Alex and Lilia at the academy. Like Alex, they were easy to deceive and easy to control. Unfortunately, many of them were the eldest sons of high-ranking nobles who had been raised in sheltered environments.

Lilia's twisted expression changed back to a fragile one, and she pleaded through tears.

"Yes. That is correct. I have been subjected to persistent harassment by Minerva-jou every day."

"Specifically?" Cyril asked, his voice devoid of emotion.

"When I was having lunch with Alex-sama, water was poured over me from above... Afterward, there were students who saw Minerva-jou on the upper corridor holding a bucket."

"I see."

"My dresses for social dance lessons were torn... Again, there were students who saw Minerva-jou entering the dressing room with scissors."

"Oh?"

"And recently, I was locked in a room with a man, and he almost violated me. Alex-sama's subordinate rescued me, but when I later asked that man, he said he was ordered by Minerva-jou... Ugh, uuu..."

Alex hugged Lilia as she covered her face with her hands and began to sob.

"That's enough! There's no need to make her remember such painful things. We just need to punish Minerva and it will be over."

(As if it could be 'over'.)

I can't be any more appalled, but my foolish older brother exceeds all imagination. Cyril glanced at Lilia, who had listed her grievances while crying, and thought about what to do. He wanted to get statements from those students who supposedly saw her, but that would take too much time.

As he was thinking, Minerva, who was behind him, gently pulled the hem of Cyril's coat. His heart leaped.

"Mi... no, Augusta-jou?"

"Louzer-reisek. Please let me speak." Minerva smiled brightly.

Cyril was overwhelmed by the strength in her eyes and took a step back.

"Lilia-jou, regarding the first incident of the water, I confirmed it with Alex-sama and Alex-sama's guard, and it was a date that was impossible for me. On that day... or rather, I wasn't even in the Imperial Capital that week because I was on a field trip for business administration."

"Ah, that's right," Alex replied stupidly, causing Lilia's expression to darken.

"I mentioned this before, but it seems Lilia-sama has forgotten." Minerva had a smile on her lips, but her eyes were cold. A thrill of ecstatic numbness ran down Cyril's spine.

Lilia raised her voice, refusing to back down. "B-But! The other incidents..."

"Yes. After I was questioned by Lilia-sama about those matters, I appointed an attendant for myself. I asked His Majesty for someone with a verified background."

Lilia panicked. "Eh..."

Minerva continued with a cold smile. "Even now, as we speak, I am being monitored."

At Minerva's words, a knight standing some distance away bowed. The emblem on his chest belonged to the Imperial Knights.

"Therefore... the first incident, and the second and subsequent incidents, were impossible for me. It is impossible to evade the eyes of the Imperial Knights."

Since the Imperial Knights were involved, no one could object. Alex fell silent, and Lilia's hands began to shake. The surrounding crowd began to buzz.

『My. To have herself monitored... Augusta-jou is truly intelligent.』

『Even for a Viscount's house, she is well-educated and suited to be a Duchess. Alex-sama really has no eye for talent.』

『She's far better than that lady who looks like a prostitute.』

At the sound of the whispers, Lilia's face turned bright red with humiliation. Cyril, who had been mesmerized by Minerva's dignified posture, was too slow to stop Lilia's sudden action as she grabbed a glass.

adda

Notification